Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Embedding Video for Specific Resources
A few easy steps will allow you to embed a video into your Brightspace/D2L course. Allowing your students to watch the video anytime they need to, anywhere they can access their course, even home.
1. Once you have located the video you want to use, click on "See Details" under the image for the title. At that time a box will pop-up offering you options.
2. Select the "</>Embed/Link" option. You will then see a box that will offer two options for copy and pasting. One will be the embed code that will allow you to copy and paste into an HTML document or Brightspace using the HTML editor.
3. Copy that code and follow directions under the Embedding in Brightspace tab in this section to add to your course. If you would like to share the information as a link into a document you post to Brightspace or email to your students, follow the instructions for embedding above but copy the link in the Permanent Link section and paste it into your preferred sharing mechanism.
Embedding a video into Brightspace using the Insert Stuff Framework (ISF):
- Go to your course within Brightspace. From any content block that loads the HTML editor, locate the Insert Stuff content button on the text editor toolbar:
- Click the button to launch the Insert Stuff window. You will now see a menu with "Films On Demand" as an option.
- Click the "Films On Demand" button. You will now see a search box you can use to find your video.When you have selected your video, click the Embed button to the right of the title.
- Once you have located the video you want to use Click on "Share" under the image for the title. At that time a box will appear below the video viewing box offering you 2 options.
- Select the "Embed" tab. You will then see the code you need to use to copy and paste into your HTML editor (in Brightspace or another software).
- Copy that code and follow directions under the Embedding in Brightspace tab in this section to add to your course.
If you would like to share the information as a link or put the link into a document you post to Brightspace or email to your students, follow the instructions for embedding above but use the tab marked "Share". A link will be provided as well as alternative methods of sharing like, Facebook, Twitter, etc. or as an email. Copy the link and paste it into your preferred sharing mechanism.
For additional information about embedding Kanopy video, go to the vendor website:
- Choose a video that meets your needs.
- Click "More Info" and then "</> Embed" to see the options.
- Click on the "Embed Code" tab and copy all the information in the box. Then follow directions under the Embedding in Brightspace tab in this section to add to your course.
Method 1: Use the Video option in Brightspace
- Within the Content area of your Brightspace/D2L course, select "Video or Audio" from the Upload/Create drop-down menu.
- Within the box presented, paste the embed code copied from video database. Enter the Title information and click Save.
Method 2: Embed the Video within a Text Box
- In your Brightspace/D2L Course within the Content area, select "Insert File" from the Upload/Create drop-down menu. Select the Insert Stuff icon on that screen.
- Then select Enter Embed Code and paste the embed code copied from video database.
Additional Video Help
If you need additional information about using library videos, check out the Video Help Guide.
Link Not Working?
Does your link begin with http://libresources.sait.ab.ca/login?url= ? If not, here's how to fix the issue:
A persistent link (permalink) is a direct URL that will remain stable over time and is found within the resource record. You typically DO NOT use the URL found in the address bar at the top of your browser.
A proxy link is code that allows off campus access to library resources and is added before the persistent link to the resource (if not automatically included). The library's proxy code looks like: http://libresources.sait.ab.ca/login?url= ...
If your link does not start with the proxy code, add that code to the front of the URL and check the new link in a browser. If you need any help adding the proxy code, check out the link helper page or contact your library liaison!