Relative merits reports can be written on a variety of topics, ranging from comparing different types of welding techniques, to a comparison of underground and off shore maintenance jobs. While the specific topics available for your report will generally be determined by your instructor, however, the following are some examples of topics you may encounter.
Processes and Techniques:
- Compare the use of ground penatrating radar with the use of x-rays to locate rebar in concrete.
- Recommend either gas metal arc welding (GMAW) or gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) for welding stainless steel.
- Compare extrusion deposition and photopolymerization techniques for rapid prototyping.
- Compare laser cutting and water jet cutting methods for use in multi-axis cutting procedures.
Equipment and Material Types:
- Compare the three types of radiographic film used in nondestructive testing.
- Compare Argon, Helium, and Oxygen as shielding gases for GMAW welding of pipe.
- Recommend one of four safety harnesses for use by maintenance in a pipe mill.
- Provide a purchase recommendation for a filament-type rapid prototyping machine capable of producing prints smaller than 50 microns.
- Compare work as a millwright in the United States of America with work as a millwright in Australia.
- Compare two maintenance schedule types for an industrial pipe mill.
- Make a recommendation to retain workers or replace them with automated systems in a German machine shop.